Frequenty Asked Questions

While we do our best to include all the information necessary for your migration to Greece, we are also ready to answer any other inquiries that may arise. Below are some of the most common asked questions we receive – should you not find the answer you’re looking for, feel free to contact us. We’d be happy to hear from you!

According to the law, family members of third country citizens entering the country are: a. Spouses. b. The direct descendants of the spouses, who are under the age of 21. c. The direct relatives of the spouses in the ascending line.
Ascendants are included in the provision above but not children over the age of 21. Children of third country nationals, who have been admitted to Greece under the terms and requirements of residence permit for property owners, are granted a residence permit for family reunification until the age of 21. After that, it is possible to acquire a renewal as a 3-year independent residence permit until they reach the age of 24 and then it is possible to renew it further according to pertinent immigration legislation.
Family members do not include unmarried partners.
Yes. The residence permit and long-term visas are valid as far as the free movement of the person in the Schengen area is concerned. Any citizen who holds a long-term visa (such as the residence permits for real estate owners) which has been issued by a member state and are valid for one year, are able to travel to other member states for up to 3 months within a six month period, under the same conditions which apply to the holder of a residence permit, while they are also granted a right for multiple entries.
In no case does the residence permit provide access to any type of employment. Employment, according to paragraph 6, article 20, of Law 4251/2014, does not include the exercise of economic activity in the capacity of a shareholder or a Chief Executive Officer. The family members that have been issued a residence permit for the same duration as the sponsor are similarly not granted access to the employment market.
This title is not included in the titles that allow direct access to the acquisition of Greek citizenship by naturalization; BUT it allows its holder to access long-term residence status, such as the status of the long-term resident, which is a qualification required for naturalization. For someone to gain citizenship should be the steps below:
  1. Obtaining legal residence permit.
  2. The first five years, should be resident in Greece. The period of absence, it should be up to 10 months to five years and not more than 6 consecutive months.
  3. Over the five years, is entitled to apply to the licensed long-term resident.
  4. After 2 years are entitled to apply for citizenship.
The amount of €250.000 refers to the price indicated on the contract. In cases of joint ownership of the real estate property by spouses, the residence right is granted to both spouses.
You are entitled to residency rights irrespective of whether you own one or more properties, provided that their combined value is equal to or greater than €250.000.
The law states that €250.000 must be the stated price on the contract. It does not distinguish between commercial and residential properties.
There are restrictions on properties located in border regions. It should be noted that as border regions are defined the prefectures of the Dodecanese, Evros, Thesprotia, Kastoria, Kilkis, Lesvos, Xanthi, Preveza, Rodopi, Samos, Florina, Chios, and the islands of Thera and Skyros, as well as the former regions of Nevrokipi in the former prefecture of Drama; Pagoniou and Konitsas in the prefecture of Ioannina; Almopia and Edessa in the prefecture of Pella; and Sintiki in the prefecture of Serres. Individual or legal entities, which are affected by the restrictions above, can request the lifting of the ban for the border regions, along with their application, which should clearly state the intended use for the property. The decision to lift the ban is made by the Minister of Defence, following the submission of an application.
The holders of the residence permit have access to public education, analogously to that of Greeks. Regarding access to health services, third country citizens and their family members who fall under the regulations of the current law, must have insurance that covers their healthcare and medical care expenses. To prove this condition, the following documents are accepted: i. Insurance contracts which have been signed outside Greece, provided they explicitly mention that they cover the applicant for the duration of their stay in Greece ii. Insurance contracts which have been signed in Greece
Yes, under the specific regulations of the Ministry of Transport, which apply to third country citizens.
You can take a mortgage out on the property, in the same way as Greeks.
A Schengen visa by a different country gives the applicant the ability to enter Greece and settle issues regarding the purchase of the property.
In cases when the real estate (property) is transferred, the third country citizen loses the right to residence. In case of resale of the property during the period of validity of the residence permit to another third country citizen, the right to a residence permit is granted to the new buyer along with a simultaneous revocation of the seller’s residence permit.
Third country citizens who own real estate have the right to rent their property. (Up to 12,000 euros per year tax of 15%. From 12001+ euros taxed at 35%)